Gage County Courthouse was built from 1890-1892 and is an outstanding example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture.
In 2008, the voters of Gage County approved a $2.9 million bond issue to renovate the Courthouse. The asphalt roof was replaced with Vermont green slate shingles just like the original roof from 1892. A modern geo-thermal heating and cooling system was installed and new windows were put in throughout the building. Both the County and District Court Rooms were restored to their original state of grandeur when the drop ceilings were removed to reveal the original oak coffered ceilings. District Court had woodwork recreated to match the original Judge bench. County Court still has the original bench but did have some woodwork recreated to restore the historical look. A group named “Friends of the Gage County Courthouse” raised money to help restore the Court Rooms along with help from the County’s General Fund.